Monday 18 May 2009

Altering Vintage Optical Lenses


A wonderful item to alter is the old vintage optical lens, you can purchase these through auction sites like Ebay, art supply shops and also at your local thrift shop if you're lucky. They were used around the 1900s and have different glass thicknesses depending on the lens itself.

I turn mine into pendants, which is very easy to do, first I choose the image I am going to use and then cover it in Diamond Glaze which protects the image but also adheres it to the lens. I then cut a piece of material or felt and fix this to the back of the image to create a decorative padding to the back of the pendant. Then all that's left to do is add a ribbon necklace and voila!

6 comments:

Tamikko said...

Just beautiful! Great idea.

SoCalWendie said...

Wonderful as always my dear. I love this idea and it reminds me a bit of your pocket watch idea, both great!

Lola Enchanted said...

Oh my goodness, I just love stopping by here! Just so full of charming creativity!!!!!

Robin said...

Beautiful piece and what a great idea!

~Melissa Merrill~ said...

hello,
Love how your pendant turned out. great idea to use the optical lense. I have used old watch crystals in the past.
I picked up Lisa K's book when down at Convenzione. I have enjoyed reading it and looking through it again and again. Your Flight of Fancy contribution in the book is cute.
Also wanted to thank you for stopping on by my blog.
Melissa

MJ Ornaments said...

I'm so happy to have found your beautiful, magical blog! I love fairies and mermaids.
Take care,
Martha