Friday 21 January 2011

My First Upholstering Attempt!!

You may remember from a previous post that I had purchased an Art Deco Chair for my new Studio space. It was in need of upholstering and brightening up so today I set about changing the fabric on the seat. It is the first time I have attempted anything like this so I was prepared for anything to happen!!! lol! I had a selection of gorgeous "Cath Kidston" style fabrics to choose from and in the end went with the Roses pattern.
Removing the old fabric was tricky to say the least, firstly I needed to raid hubbies tool box to find the right tools to remove the tacks and then had to work out the safest and quickest way to prise them out without causing injury to myself, so eventually after one hour of cussing and tutting and several tacks and staples later the old fabric was off and discarded to reveal an old foam insert and a very fragile wooden frame, which looked like it had been re-upholstered several times over many years, so I knew moving forward I had to work carefully with this. But I soldiered on, replaced the old foam with some deeper new foam and then tightly wrapped the new fabric around the frame and secured gently with tacks. The finished result was by no means perfect, but it was good enough to give the chair the uplift I wanted without any expense....
From a previous post you may remember I was also waiting for my new studio table, this arrived earlier this week, and I'm over the moon with it. It is now in place along with the chair, here's a first glance of it all together (below)...
I've brought down all my art supplies from my old mezzanine studio and packed them away in the new downstairs cupboards and have also set up my beloved vintage typewriter on an upturned crate next to the desk, this will be used to store my vintage books in that I work from and eventually I will get a new ink ribbon for the typewriter so I can use old typeface in some of my creations.
So today was a successful day, even though no crafting is yet taking place... much to my dismay!! I still got a creative fix. I'm looking forward to settling down in my new chair over the weekend and getting those creative juices flowing!!!!

3 comments:

Rose Garden Romantic said...

I love the fabric you used and the chair looks great!
Michelle

Marie said...

What a fab studio space. Gorgeous chair!

Sew-Sumptuous said...

I love that chair - it all looks great